How much do wedding flowers cost? According to many wedding coordinators and bridal magazines, a couple should set aside at least 8 to 10% of their overall wedding budget just for flower arrangements. Now this percentage will vary drastically, depending solely on your budget, which means you could go from spending between US$ 500 to US$ 5,000, or even more, just for floral expenses. But these prices shouldn't make you nervous or anything. You can definitely have the perfect wedding you dreamed about with all the details and still keep the budget in control. Here's what you should be aware of and keep in mind, while out for shopping for wedding flowers.
Pay Less, Get More
If the priority is to reduce the cost, you will need to provide the florist specific details and guidelines on colors and preferred flowers. However, do let the florist give you suggestions on the choices of blossoms according to your budget.
- You could reduce the number of attendants for the wedding and the florist won't have to make that many bouquets.
- Or you could reduce the number of guests for the wedding or reception party. You will have fewer tables to decorate with centerpieces.
- Always choose the in-season bridal flowers. At times they can be less expensive than other blooms. You can check the list of common flowers for all seasons online as well.
- Combining flowers should be as complicated as possible. In order to stick to your wedding budget, selection of certain flowers can be a world of difference. Have your florist give you options.
- Flowers that are usually on the expensive side are calla lily, orchids, gardenia, and lily of the valley. Go for the more moderately priced flowers for your wedding like carnations, roses, ivy, orange blossoms, daffodil, daisies, lavender and chrysanthemum.
- For table centerpieces, opt for something besides floral wedding decorations. You could also place scattered flower petals around the table or votive candles. It will not only create an elegant effect, but also be covered under your budget.
- One of the best ways to cut cost is by choosing a naturally beautiful location. Garden weddings rarely require extra floral decorations. Also, for a December wedding, you could choose a location which are already decorated for the holidays. This way you get a gorgeous location with poinsettias and garlands free of cost.
Choose to bargain as much as you can, ask for discounts from the florist, and if possible, choose the less expensive flower arrangements to keep costs low. Do shop around before you make any decisions.