Weddings are generally beautiful. Well, at least on the surface. If you are a guest at a wedding, you will never see the hundreds of tiny things that could have gone wrong and ruined the special day. And more often than not, the day is saved by the wedding planner. Handling the many nitty-gritty associated with a wedding, there is a lot that a wedding planner has on her plate. Which is why she needs an able assistant. If you want to make an entry into the wedding planning business, it may be essential that you serve a little time working with an established wedding planner who can help you learn what is expected from you.
How to Get a Job as a Wedding Planner Assistant?
Before starting a career as a wedding planner, it is important that you know exactly what is expected from a planner, and for this you need to have hands on experience. From hiring the decorator to the chef, from planning the venue to handling the wedding gift registry, the wedding planner is hired so that every small detail can be taken care off with the minimal hassle. As an assistant wedding planner, you will be expected to handle several of the duties for a wedding. To get a job as an assistant to a wedding planner, there are several skills that you need to possess.
- As an aspiring assistant to a wedding planner, even without any knowledge of the industry, you will need to keep abreast of the latest happenings in the wedding world. Understand trends and fashions. Try to create a scrapbook of themes, decor ideas, wedding destination ideas, etc. This is something that you can present to a wedding planner during the interview to serve as a dedication to the job.
- Rarely will you come across courses in wedding planning but there are courses in event management that is a good qualification to have on your resume. Any wedding planner will look for skills and characteristics like attention to detail, motivation, an ability to think on your feet, impeccable organizational skills, etc. in an assistant. Work on your skill set. There is nothing that is more important.
- As a wedding planner, you will be expected to be well put together. You need to be smartly dressed and presentable on all occasions. A shabbily dressed wedding planner is not someone who will be perceived as trustworthy, so work on your appearance. Any prospective employer will look for an assistant who is impressive in not only their demeanor and professionalism but also their appearance.
- If you are unable to find a job as an assistant to a wedding planner, try to gain entry into a related field and work your way up from there. Work with a bridal wear shop or a florist who specializes in wedding floral arrangements. Building your contacts and working on your network is a great way of getting an entry-level job in the industry.
- While the job may seem extremely glamorous, thanks to the many movies set in the wedding planning world, the reality can be intimidating to say the least. Know what you are in for. It is important to get in touch with people who are in the industry and learn what your job duty may be. With some wedding planners, assistants will be expected to handle a lot of responsibility, with others, all you may be allowed to do is administrative work.
It is important that you remember that actually getting a break in the industry can be a tough job. If you do manage to get a job as an assistant to a wedding planner, then remember to do everything in your ability to retain your job. Do everything that your job calls for and more. Taking on as much responsibility as possible is a great way of making yourself valuable to your employer. Becoming an assistant to a wedding planner is the perfect stepping stone to a full-fledged career in planning weddings.