At most weddings, it is the father of the groom that makes a speech to celebrate the joyous occasion. However, in some special cases, the mother of the groom is also required to make a speech and pay a tribute to the lucky couple.
So your son has finally grown up and has decided to take the leap of faith. It’s one of the happiest days of his life and you could not ask for a better match for him. What better way to celebrate this joyous occasion than a public display of oratory bedazzlement in front of all family members and friends. It is best to be prepared for such a moment and if you keep a few pointers in mind you will pull off a magnificent speech.
It is a standard practice in many customs for a parent of the groom to make a speech welcoming one and all to the wedding, celebrating the holy communion of the couple and giving the guests a brief insight into the lives of the couple as well. Weddings are happy times for everyone involved, and almost everyone is in high spirits, so public displays of celebration and excitement are always welcome.
How to Make a Great Speech
Attract everyone’s attention, ask the band to stop playing the wedding music for a bit and go ahead and introduce yourself as the mother of the bridegroom. Remember not everyone will know who you are so to avoid confusing them, make your relationship with the groom absolutely clear.
Thank everyone for being present there. Comment on what an exceptionally joyous occasion it is and how you’re absolutely thrilled that everyone who matters could make it. Patronizing inebriated guests always ensures that they end up having a good time. However, do not spend too much time on this stage, since the primary purpose is to talk about the couple.
Thank the Bride and her Parents
Now you need to address the family that you’re welcoming into your life. You must tell them how happy it makes you to know that your son is marrying into such a great family. Such speeches are most effective when the speaker is visibly joyful and goes overboard, so do not restrain yourself in any manner.
Talk About Your Son
Now it is time for you to speak about what a great and special kid your boy is. Recollect memories and incidents from his childhood days so as to make it humorous. Embarrass your boy but make sure that you don’t end up humiliating or offending him. The guests that are present should see a trajectory of the growth of your son from a boy into a married man, and they should also admire this growth.
Address the Bride
Welcome the bride with open arms into your family and wish her a superb life ahead of her. Pass on some wisdom and anecdotes to her about married life, kids and love. Your daughter in law will most likely be apprehensive about the relationship that she will share with you, so it is your responsibility to ensure that she feels as comfortable as possible.
Now you can wrap up your wedding speech by quoting a famous line or poem or even composing one yourself. Wedding poetry is something that always does the trick, and you can adopt a famous poem by someone or you can even compose one yourself as long as it is witty, appropriate and touching.
Tips to Remember
- Ensure that you are not too drunk while making your speech. You’ll only end up slurring your words and making a fool out of yourself for not following this rule of general wedding etiquette.
- Keeping it short and sweet would be a very good idea as well. Ideally, it should not last for more than 5 minutes. Guests tend to get bored very easily and spending more than a few minutes listening to a speech is not something that they may prefer.
- Practice many times before the final edition. You don’t want your mind to suddenly turn blank in the middle of your speech.
- It is also highly advisable to freshen up just before you make your speech. Look your best so that you can enrapture your listeners.
- Use visual tools, like videos, photographs or even memorabilia. These will give the guests a peek into the lives of the happy couple, and they will be happier for them.
- Remember to make the speech from your heart and express feelings of appreciation towards the bride. If you’re putting on a show, everyone will know it.
Making the speech is a chance for you to express your immense joy for such a happy occasion and memorable day in your sons life. Do not hold back your emotions and your thoughts on such a day, and do all that it takes to make the special day even more memorable.